Basilica of Saint Christina (Basilica di Santa Cristina) is a Romananesque building of the 11th century with Renaissance façade (1494) and 14th century mullioned window bell-tower. Inside there are three naves with frescoes of the 14th – 16th century and behind the main altar there is a restored polyptych of Sano di Pietro.
From the left nave you can reach Chapel of the Miracle (Cappella del Miracolo) – 17th century – the altar of which preserves the bloodstained stones, relics of Eucharistic Miracle (Miracolo Eucaristico) – 1263 – while Sacred Corporal (Sacro Corporale), the bloodstained altar cloth, is preserved in the Orvieto cathedral. Grotto of Saint Christina (Grotta di Santa Cristina) is adjacent to the Chapel of the Miracle (Cappella del Miracolo) and belongs to the Christian catacombs. Inside we can find a large terracotta sacred image and the statue of the dead Saint Christina: Benedetto Buglioni is the author of both works. The worship of the martyr of Bolsena is the most widespread cult in the Catholic religion.For more information: